The Pierre Electrical Department is responsible for the transmission and distribution of electricity as well as, street lights, traffic signals, and city electrician needs.
Pierre receives about 60% of its power from Western Area Power Administration (WAPA) which is power generated from hydroelectric dams along the Missouri River. The remaining 40% of our power comes from Missouri River Energy Services (MRES), a not-for-profit joint-action agency serving 61 municipal utilities in four states.
To report a power outage between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., please call 605-773-7407. To report an outage after hours, please call 605-773-7410.
Use South Dakota One Call to locate underground utilities before you dig. Make your locate requests by calling 811 (in-state) and 800-781-7474 outside of South Dakota.
Locate requests are accepted 24/7. The One Call service is free.
The South Dakota One Call system provides for communication between excavators and underground facility operators so buried utilities can be marked in advance of any digging. Following the One Call procedure works to reduce damages to underground infrastructure, helps to ensure public and worker safety, and protects the integrity of utility services.
Use the Power Connect Form for power hookup to facilities, not to businesses. Please fill out and return to city hall, care of Brad Palmer, Utilities Director.
To connect electricity to a home or business please stop by City Hall at 222 East Dakota Avenue.